Montecosaro stemmaMontecosaro

MUNICIPALITY OF MONTECOSARO
(Macerata District)
Altitude
mt. 267 a.s.l.
POPULATION
6880 (800 in the borgo)

TOURIST INFORMATION
Town hall, Via Gatti 3 – Ph. 0733 560711
comunemontecosaro@libero.it
Pro Loco, Piazza Trieste – Ph. 0733 1870642
www.prolocomontecosaro.it
www.comune.montecosaro.mc.it

Montecosaro stemmaThe name comes from the Latin Mons Causarius, which means “place of cause”, because in its highest point (mons, mountain), where the formwork stood, the pretor and the court of justice had an ancient seat.

A few km divide the historical center from the new settlement of Montecosaro Scalo, the commercial and industrial centre; here, one of the most important monuments of the region: the Romanesque Basilica of Santa Maria, also known as Church of the Anapse. A curiosity is that the elegant bell tower above the south wall of the apse, preserves the same bell used in 1425. Once, the walls were covered with frescoes but now only a few remain, like the Virgin with Child by the Master Offida (second half of the XIV century: a Crucifixion of this painter, even more ancient, and guarded in a room underneath the bell tower) and the cycle of the apse dated 1447 with the scenes of the childhood of Christ, by an unknown author. Going to the historical centre you will find the Church of San Rocco (1447), which has an octagonal plan and which preserves wonderful frescos by Simone de Magistris (1576). Of the three medieval gates, only the thirteenth Porta San Lorenzo remains; the door, which opens to the east, today is merged with Palazzo Marinozzi. Going up a cobbled road you will arrive to Piazza Trieste, where you will see the nineteenth century Theater of the Loggias, the result of the transformation of a medieval building. The theatre communicates with the former Palazzo dei Priori of the XIII century, which became Cesarini Palace in 1552, and marked the beginning of the feudal domination of the Marchesi Cesarini. In the square there is also the Collegiate Church of San Lorenzo, built in 1723 on the ruins of the old parish church. The interior, with a single nave, preserves previous works, as the fourteenth century fresco of the Virgin Mary. In the upper part of the historical center, the Park of the Cassero is a splendid green corner. Some remarkable mansions are worthseeing in Montecosaro: Palazzo Graduates, built between six and seven hundred, presents a rich brick façade; the Palazzo de’ Nicholas Massari, dating between the XIII and the XII century. On the opposite side of the square is the Augustinian complex, the Church of Sant’Agostino and the Palazzo Comunale. Just outside the walls, the small eighteenth century Church of Nostra Signora of San Domenico is already immersed in the atmosphere of rustic Val di Chienti. A little farther away from the walls stands another rural church, dedicated to the Holy Crucifix of the Sassi.

Local cuisine is based on traditional simple cooking, such as sardine, Sperlonga fish, bean and marinated soups. Also worth tasting are the bambolotti made with a cuttlefish ragout. The sughitti, a sweet polenta prepared with grape must, maize flour and walnuts is a typical peasant cake that has its own festival during the month of October.

Ristorazione

Montecosaro, La Fabbrica del Gusto

Ristorante Pizzeria Braceria – La Fabbrica del Gusto

  Via Ascoli, 8
  +39 0733 865493
 menu@lafabbricadelgusto.it
 www.lafabbricadelgusto.it