MUNICIPALITY OF colbordolo
(Pesaro – Urbino District)
mt. 319 a.s.l.
5500 (74 in the borgo)
Santa Marcellina, last Sunday of July
Town hall, Ph. 0721 49621 (H. 8-13)
The names comes from the castle built by the Roman Gandolfi family in the 12th century.
The first impression of the view of this borgo is its roundness: it seems to have changed little since 1400. Its medieval town planning structure, in a raised position gives a suggestive view of the town. Because of lack of resources, this castle, equidistant from both Pesaro and Urbino, has not been tampered with, maintaining through time its ancient characteristics. After centuries of misery and sacrifice, when agriculture and the brickyard were the only income sources, the inhabitants have finally realized they have a treasure. No one leaves or sells their house. Not even the town council that could create an aggregative area. Residents are holding onto their small, old houses, which still retain traces of its original poverty: it is surrounded exclusively by hills and quiet countryside. Here trucks cannot pass under the narrow entrance arch and alarm clocks no longer exist, they have been replaced by the sound of birds; the word “frenzy” is unknown and the working days get longer or shorter according to the rhythm of the seasons. Going along the ridge that leads from Colbordolo to Urbino, it is impossible not to admire this beautiful town and it is not enough to just observe it from afar. It is best to enter the twelfth century walls passing under the arch where the drawbridge was; above the arch there is a fifteenth century sandstone Madonna Lattante. The real surprise is the Pieve di San Gaudenzio, probably built between the seventh and eighth century and dedicated to the first bishop of Rimini martyred around 360 a.C. Inside there are many decorative works in black and white all by the same author, done using the simple scagliola technique. These works are frontals, panels and plaques dating back to the end of the seventeenth century. The most beautiful frontal is the high altar (the front): dated 1687, it depicts St. Francis of Paola praying. The church is full of marble, with the elegant 17th cent. balustrade, there is a twelfth century crypt where the remains of Santa Marcellina, moved from Rome in 1666, are kept and a fifteenth century bell tower, 25 meters high. Tradition has it that the Blessed Giansante Brancorsini of Montefabbri was baptized in the baptistery font which was originally a Roman marble stone. In the main town of Colbordolo there is a tower and the ancient walls of the castle. In the urban structure of the centre you can see signs of Middle Ages and Renaissance historical events. The father of Raphael Sanzio, Giovanni Santi, was born here. In the Romanesque Church of San Giovanni Battista you can admire the beautiful painting, Madonna with Child and Saints (1605) by Claudio Ridolfi, influenced by Veronese. Villa Albani, a patrician country house in the hamlet of Morciola is worth visiting, and also the Romanesque-Gothic church of Santa Maria, which can be visited on the first and third Monday of each month.
The area provides an excellent extra virgin olive oil and is rich in vineyards from which the excellent Colli Pesaresi DOC wine is produced,made from Sangiovese and Montepulciano grapes. The typical product is the Crescia, a salt panettone (traditional buttery, vanilla flavoured Christmas bread like cake, tall and round in shape) made with pecorino cheese, which is accompanied with local salami and cold cooked meats, eggs and Colli Pesaresi wine.