MUNICIPALITY OF MORIMONDO
mt. 120 a.s.l.
1.200 (450 in the borgo)
San Bernardo, August 20th
Town hall, Piazza Municipio 1 – Ph.02 94961941
The name ”Morimondo” is a translation from French word ”Morimond”. Morimond was the name of an important European abbey.
The abbey was founded in 1136 by a group of monks coming from France. The presence of the monks was the condition for the development of agriculture and the preservation of natural beauty that characterize the territory of the Ticino Park. The few houses of the borgo rise near the abbey, in correspondence of the farms and the grange (the agricultural centers in the monastery). All these elements were involved in the action for the recovery, as the alleys and the square, paved with the traditional “rizzata”. The result is a beautiful homogeneous mix of colours : the cotto tile, the blue sky, the green gardens and woods. The abbey of Morimondo is essentially an example of monastic architecture, which is free of frills, essential (the sense of order is given by the disposition of the bricks), based on the alternation between lights and shadows and on the geometry and the dimensions of the buildings. In the church there are wooden objects with decorations, made using hot iron, and beautiful religious frescoes.
Here milk is produced and used to make stracchino and gorgonzola cheese. Local cereals are the ingredients of the excellent local beer. The production of salami is very good in this area.
The local dish is the cassoeula with cornmeal mush, together with the risotto and the braised meat. The typical dessert is a cake called Abatino.