The history of San Benedetto Po is inseparably linked with the birth, life, development and suppression of the Napoleonic abbey of Polirone, one of the most important Cluniac sites among the more than a thousand that arose in medieval Europe. The monastery was founded by Tedaldo di Canossa in 1007. The Canossa family was responsible for its development with donations of land. Particular attention came from Matilde, who wanted to be buried there after her death in 1115. In life he donated the abbey of Polirone to the Pope who entrusted it to Ugo di Cluny. In 1634 Urban VIII bought the mortal remains so that they could be buried in the Vatican, in the Basilica of San Pietro where he is still inside a mausoleum designed by Bernini. Over the centuries, periods of decline alternate with moments of renewed splendor.
Events at this location