Montefiore-aso-stemmaMontefiore dell’Aso

(Ascoli Piceno District)
mt. 411 a.s.l.

tourist information
Town hall, Piazza della Repubblica 2 – Ph. 0734 939019
Tourist office, Piazza Antognozzi – Ph. 0734 939181
Museum network information – Ph. 0734 938743
(reservations: Ph. 328 1775908)


Tradition links Montefiore’s name to the cult of the goddess Flora (Mons Floris), a rural divinity worshipped by the ancient Italic populations before the Roman conquest.

Montefiore dell’Aso is a lovely Borgo of the Piceno area, situated between the Sibillini Mountains and the sea, which is only a few kilometres away. The historical centre is well preserved: the town walls with gates and six fortified towers which date back to XV and XVI centuries. From De Carolis panoramic view point, through the Aspromonte gate, you can enter the historical centre an go into Piazza della Repubblica, the heart of the village, dominated by the St. Lucia Collegiate Church. The church was completely rebuilt in neoclassical style, but its origins are very old, between III and V century. Going down from Piazza della Repubblica towards Piazzale San Francesco, you can see the church dedicated to the Saint and its adjoining monastery. San Francesco’s Church was built between 1247 and 1303, thanks to the proceeds of friars’ charity. The church still preserves its original Romanesque-Gothic style in the external structure and in the portal of 1303, which you can now admire in the sacristy. Radical restorations, made between the half of the XVII century and the half of XVIII century, have transformed its interior in a baroque style. In the monastery the new S. Francesco’s Museum has been inaugurated in October 2006. The friars’ rooms in the monastery have been prepared for art, cinema, ethnography. The new parts of the Museum in the rooms of the monastery, contain Carlo Crivelli’s Room, Giancarlo Basili’s Centre of Stage Documents, Adolfo De Carolis’Museum, Peasant Civilization Museum, Domenico Cantatore’s Collection. In the village there are also a lot of eighteenth century buildings: Egidi Palace, Farsinelli Palace, De Scrilli Palace, Rossi Palace, Ciarrocchi Palace, Simonetti Palace. Quite near the centre, St Filippo’s Church had been built over a former church built between 1573 and 1605, dedicated to S. Maria del Monte, and restored at the end of the XVII century. The Corpus Domini Church and its Dominican Monastery (1846) stand near St. Filippo’s Church. Three extraurban churches are worth a visit: along the main road that leads to Carassai S. Maria delle Grazie, a nice rural church, and S. Maria della Fede; along the road leading to Campofilone S. Giovanni Battista’s Church.

The Aso valley has not only preserved its landscape, art and history, it has also jealously guarded the secrets of an ancient culinary tradition, based on simple and natural ingredients: legumes, grains, vegetables, olive oil and pork meat, Rosso Piceno or Falerio red wines. With the vincisgrassi, a rich lasagna of the Piceno area, perfection is reached in Valdaso. Tajuli and taccu are made with humble pastry, without eggs, served respectively in broth and with vegetable, pork, sardine or dried cod ragout.


Agriturismo I Cigni

  Contrada San Giovanni, 56
  +39 0734 938456
  +39 340 8080019


B.&B. Casa Nolly

Vicino al mare in una stupenda cornice naturalistica.