MUNICIPALITY OF PORTOBUFFOLE’
mt. 8 a.s.l.
800 (300 in the borgo)
San Marco, April 25th
Tourist office, Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II
Ph. 0422 850020 / 850075
Called Septimum de Liquentia by Romans because it was seven miles from Oderzo (Opitergium) and near the Livenza river. It continued to be known as Settimo for a long time, until the 11th century when it changed in Portus Buvoledi or Bufoledi, a name deriving from the medieval Latin word bova, meaning channel. According to others, the name’s origin is related to the word bufaline, the boats used for the commercial activity.
The bridge allows you to enter the borgo, there was a gate until 1918 when it was destroyed. Here is Piazza Beccaro with its cobblestones, surrounded by lovely palaces. Casa Gaia is a beautiful 14th century residence, it was owned by Gaia da Camino until her death in 1311. She transformed the original tower house into a small palace. The façade is embellished with windows and elegant columns. The frescoes preserved on the first floor illustrate the atmosphere of peace and serenity, felt in the borgo in the short periods between the frequent wars. The second floor frescoes show fortified cities, drawbridges, towers and palaces and other medieval elements. The 10th century Municipal Tower is the only one remaining of the castle’s seven ancient towers. Made with bricks, it is 28 meters high. The clock contained the opening used to lower the prisoners in the prison. The building under the tower was Palazzo del Governo (administration palace); on the door of the Monte di Pietà (bank), founded in the 16th century by the Venetians, there is a rare example of a ”leon in moeca”, the lion with a terrifying appearance used as a symbol of war. Casa Comunale presents a wide loggia and elegant oval arched windows. The Duomo was a Jewish synagogue, then converted to Christianity. Consecrated in 1559 and restored numerous times inside and outside, it houses a 15th century wooden crucifix, a wooden altar in red briar-root and a splendid organ made by the Callido, with 472 zinc and tin pipes, bought in 1780 for the considerable sum of more than 4000 Venetian gold liras. Outside the Borgo, the Church of San Rocco houses Madonna della Seggiola, a wooden sculpture (1524); Palazzo Giustinian, built in 1695 by the noble Venetian Cellini family; the Oratory of Santa Teresa,built by Cellini, and finally the Church dei Servi, consecrated in 1505.
Nei lavori di restauro dell’ex casa dell’Arcisinagogo, accanto al Duomo, è apparsa una pietra con il candelabro ebraico a sette braccia e alcune lettere dell’alfabeto. Dalla piazza si arriva al “Toresin” e a Porta Friuli, dove campeggia, sopra l’arco esterno, un Leone di San Marco che inneggia ai “diritti e doveri dell’uomo e del cittadino”, segno evidente del passaggio della Rivoluzione Francese. Il Ponte Friuli, costruito nel 1780 in pietra cotta, in sostituzione del ponte levatoio in legno, è a due grandi arcate e fiancheggiato da sei eleganti poggioli. Qui sotto scorreva il Livenza.
Fuori del borgo, sono da vedere la chiesa di San Rocco con la Madonna della Seggiola, una scultura lignea del 1524; palazzo Giustinian, costruito nel 1695 dalla nobile famiglia veneta Cellini e poi passato ai Giustinian; l’oratorio di Santa Teresa, edificato dai Cellini, ricco di stucchi e affreschi; la chiesa dei Servi, consacrata nel 1505.
In the borgo some excellent red wines, pumpkins and honey are produced. The local menu includes: Gnocchetti with duck sauce, calf, risotto with pigeon, salted codfish and zuppa matta (crazy soup), made with pumpkin, bread, milk and mushrooms.