municipality of deiva marina
(Province of La Spezia)
m. 15 s.l.m.
1383 (1060 nel borgo)
With the open sea on the horizon, Dèiva Marina’s long sandy beach is enclosed between two crowns of cliffs. The borgo can be reached from the mountain or following the coast from Sestri Levante through the tunnels of an ancient railway. The old town’s buildings cling to the slopes, an intricate mosaic of tiles, plaster and balconies with wrought iron railings and red geraniums. The post-war Marina has a neat geometry of streets and squares. Two different worlds, juxtaposed at random or perhaps on purpose. In the oldest nucleus is the Baroque Church of Sant’Antonio Abate, it has a beautiful churchyard with a typical Ligurian pebble mosaic of a wind rose. Opposite is a square medieval tower, a second ivy-covered circular structure is closer to the sea, both towers were built as a military garrison to counter the incursions of Turkish and Barbary pirates with other guard posts. The first rural church in the area was the Sanctuary dell’Assunta, built in 1002. Inside is a 5th-6th century marble epigraph, that reports the text of a “letter of Jesus Christ sent from heaven” and is conserved together with the headstone of the church. Further on is Monte San Nicolao, which dominates the Deiva valley; on its northern side, a medieval religious complex has recently come to light.
• The Feast of San Giovanni Battista, June: the celebrations of the borgo’s patron saint include a fair, an evening bonfire and fireworks on the sea.
• Deiva dialoga con l’arte and Festival Nuove Terre, are both summer festivals of art, music and literature.
• The Castagnata, autumn and winter, celebrate the chestnut’s ancient culinary traditions.
The borgo lies in the Parco Naturale delle Cinque Terre, with many hiking, riding and biking opportunities. Summer sports on the local beach. (Province of La Spezia) Altitude 0 – 847 a.s.l. Population 1.383 (1060 in the borgo) www.comune.deivamarina.sp.it